Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Rant About Professional Sports

I stopped at Salt Grass on the way home Saturday, to get my wife a salad. I sat at the bar and ordered, and while waiting I felt a bit out of place. I was surrounded by loud sports fans yelling at the flat screens up on the wall. The Astros were up by three runs over Cincinnati.


I am not one to follow sports. I would like to think it doesn't reflect poorly on my level of manliness, but who knows. I just don't find many of them to be interesting. Lets look at the top four.

Baseball has got to be about the least interesting of all. Not a whole lot of action. These world-class athletes sit for half the game, and are considered great if they can hit the ball 3 out of 10 times. How many jobs can you think of that won't fire you if you perform well only 3 out of 10 times?


Hockey died years ago due to a lockout during contract negotiations. Are they even still playing? Ah... who cares.




Football is alright I guess. Its certainly not lacking action. What bugs me are the people who claim to be lifelong fans of the latest hot team. The Arizona Cardinal's success last year was a perfect example. Have you ever met a Cardinal's fan? Me neither... not till last year that is.

I won't take the time to watch the regular season games, but I'll watch the Super Bowl. Any reason to throw a party is a good reason, and the commercials are entertaining. By the way, if you were a true Arizona Cardinals fan, you would have noticed the youn lady in the picture is actually wearing the Cardinal's baseball gear. Did you pass the test?


Basketball would be great if the entire game was five minutes long. The last five minutes of the game is all you need to see. Its the most exciting. Think about it. At the end you get the all the lead changes, the scrambling, the final buzzer shot and a victor is crowned. The back and forth of the rest of the game is lost on me. If the games were changed to dunk contest and three point shooting matches like in the all star game i would watch every single game.

I think I've bashed the major professional sports enough to earn some nasty comments. I'll go after more of them in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment